Saturday, September 18, 2010

Odd and the Frost Giants

Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman  117 pp.

I don't know how I managed to miss this Neil Gaiman book.  With the exception of a large portion of Sandman, I thought I'd read all his books. This is a children's book based in Norse mythology. Young Odd has been very unlucky in his short life. His father died in a Viking expedition, his leg was shattered by a falling tree and now winter has grown dangerously long and cold. In the forest Odd meets Odin, Thor, & Loki who have been changed into animals: an eagle, a bear, & a fox, respectively. The frost giants have stolen Mjollnir, Thor's hammer and are causing the endless winter.  Odd must find a way to help the Gods of Asgard defeat the Frost Giants by outwitting them.

What could be better: Norse mythology AND Neil Gaiman? I enjoyed this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment