Friday, September 14, 2018

Children of Blood and Bone

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi  531 pp.

Zelie is a young woman whose mother was a Maji (magical) and father was Kosidan, one of the oppressive ruling class. This makes Zelie a Diviner, or one of magical descent who is looked down upon by the nobles who refer to them as "maggots".  The rulers killed off the maji in an attempt to remove magic from their kingdom. The discovery of a magic scroll and stone gives Zelie the chance to bring back the magic to the kingdom. She gains an unexpected ally in a runaway princess and later, her brother, the prince, who is hiding his own diviner status. I enjoyed this book and the author's use of Yoruba and the Orishas as an integral part of the story. My rudimentary knowledge of the Yoruban religion gave me a greater understanding of the magical parts of the story. I listened to the Overdrive audiobook read by Bahni Turpin only to have it automatically "return" when I still had 45 minutes left. I checked out the physical book to finish the last part.


No comments:

Post a Comment