Friday, March 1, 2019

Every Heart A Doorway

Every Heart a Doorway, Seanan McGuire, 173 pages

Though seriously late in writing this, I did read Seanan McGuire's for last month's book club. I was about twenty pages short of the end when the meeting occurred, but I did find our discussion of choice and how McGuire presents the aftermath of the Narnia Other World trope to be engaging and wonderful. That the children get to live these full, adult lives in one world, and then are just shunted back into reality moments after they left. It is intriguing how the various worlds the children visit are categorized, with different key words to help relate to one another through shared experience, though each world visited, each doorway opened, is different. I really enjoyed the characters Jack and Jill, who had visited a world of gothic horror and Hammer films. I have already picked up the second book in this series, which focuses upon those two characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment