Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Station Eleven

Station Eleven / Emily St. John Mandel 333 pgs.

The Georgian flu kills in 48 hours and by all evidence has wiped out 99.9% of the population.  This is the story of some survivors who are all tangentially related through a relationship with an actor who has a heart attack right before the world ends.

This book is well written and interesting but I personally can't get past the timeline of certain events.  Pretty much all modern conveniences stop after about 90 days and the book goes on to tell of 20 years after the pandemic.  At that point, there is evidence of one town who has electric lights again.  Seriously? Does no electrician or engineer survive?  I personally have no skills that would be useful in this situation but I could read a book and learn.  Instead these people get into these small communities and live off the land in tents.  We are talking about TWENTY YEARS...I think someone would have gotten it together a little faster. What about solar and wind power?  I'm not expecting manufacturing to rebound but I think you could come up with a few more improvements.  Ok, off the soap box.  Everyone else here really liked this book.  And I did like it but found it frustrating.

check our catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment