Saturday, July 21, 2012

Batman: Full Circle/Mike W. Barr

Batman:  Full Circle by Mike W. Barr; graphic novel; unpaged

This story is the follow-up to Batman:  Year Two (which I haven't read!), and builds on major events from that arc--namely, Batman's final confrontation with Joe Chill, the mugger who killed his parents when he was just a boy.  In this sequel, Chill's son dons the mask of The Reaper, a deceased villain who Batman defeated years ago.  While Batman and Robin try to figure out how the Reaper has returned, Chill's son and daughter plot ways that they can destroy the man who brought about their father's death. 

Unlike Anarky, this book didn't do a whole lot for me.  I had a LOT of trouble believing the Joe Chill's kids, whom he abandoned when they were small/in utero, would care enough about him to seek revenge.  And the way in which they do so is too elaborate and complicated for me to believe.  This was only a one-shot, so I might have liked it more if there had been more room for character growth.  I will be seeking out Year Two, however, as that seems to be where the meat of this story lies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment