Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A Hustler's Wife by Nikki Turner

A Hustler's Wife by Nikki Turner p. 259


Yarni is a young teenage girl being raised by her single mother because her father is in prison and has been since she was a baby.  Her mother, Gloria, feels guilty because she doesn't have her father so she tries to make up for it with material things.  She respects her mother and listens to her advice.  She isn't dating yet because her mother thinks she is too young.  That is, until Des comes into her life.  Although Des is in his early twenties and Yarni is only fifteen, he asks her mother's permission to date her.  Yarni's mother is so impressed by the young man, she allows them to see each other.  Des makes sure she goes to school everyday and rewards her when she gets good grades by buying her lavish gifts with his drug money.  They fall in love and he wants her mother's permission to marry Yarni.  This is where Gloria draws the line.  But that doesn't stop them.  They get a fake marriage license.  Yarni then moves in with Des.  All seems to be going well until Des is taken to jail for murder.  Yarni stays by his side, even after Des is sentenced to prison, at the surprise of his mother, Joyce.  Joyce has never liked Yarni because she thinks she just wants his money.  Yarni proves she isn't going anywhere and truly loves Des.  Although she dates other men, who prove to be very bad choices although she couldn't tell right away, she never stops visiting Des, accepting his calls and writing him.  Their love prevails through it all.  But how long can this last?  Will Des ever get his sentence overturned?  If he doesn't will Yarni eventually leave him?
              This is my second time reading this book.  The first time I read it I was about fourteen or fifteen.  I remember my reaction to the book.  I loved it.  However, reading it this time, with all the knowledge I have gained and with my life experiences, I can now say that I do not know what I was thinking.  This book has so many mistakes and is poorly written.  I only picked it back up because she wrote more in this series and I never read them because I stopped reading Urban Fiction a long time ago.  Every once in awhile I will pick something up though and I decided this series would be it.  Mistake. Can't believe I actually read the whole thing, and I've even started reading the second one (which has much less mistakes and is better written).  I would not suggest this to anyone at work or any of the patrons.  If they ask for it though, I'll keep my opinions to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment