Monday, March 5, 2012

The Sisters Brothers

The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt, 325 pages

Eli and Charlie Sisters are two sharp-shooting guns-for-hire working for the ruthless Commodore, who has a long list of enemies he wants bumped off. This book follows the brothers on what Eli, our narrator, has decided will be the last of his "errands" for the Commodore: the murder of a gold-panning chemist in California. The story is funny in a wry, situational way; there are no real jokes here, yet somehow I was snickering all the way through the book. It seems very much like the Coen brothers' recent take on True Grit in that sense, so if you enjoyed that, you'll likely enjoy this. I honestly didn't think I'd like a western (I'll admit I only read this because I had to for class), but lo and behold, I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment