Monday, March 26, 2012

The Gathering

The Gathering by William X. Kienzle 280 pp.

Former priest, William Kienzle died in 2001 and I thought I had read all his "Father Koesler" murder mysteries years ago. Somehow I missed this one. This book isn't exactly a whodunit. It's really a story of a who is going to do it and to whom? Most of the story is a flashback to the years when Father Bob Koesler and several of his schoolmates in Detroit were making their plans to go into the religious life. Rose and Mike are twins who want to enter the convent and priesthood respectively. Alice, Rose's best friend also plans to be a nun. The hot tempered Manny is also headed to the seminary. Stan is the outsider of the group who is only entering the seminary to please his mother after a priest pulls strings to get his parents' marriage legitimized in the eyes of the Catholic church. The twist and turns in the lives of these six people leave you wondering which one is the killer and who will be the victim. The ending is anticlimactic and somewhat disappointing. Now I can honestly say I read all the books in this series although my favorite remains Death Wears a Red Hat

No comments:

Post a Comment