Monday, October 11, 2010

How to live safely in a science fictional universe

How to live safely in a science fictional universe/Charles Yu

Wow, this is a great book that I'm not even sure I understand. Minor Universe 31 is the setting and our hero, named Charles Yu is a time machine repairman. He spends a lot of his time explaining to people that they can NOT change the past. We are really all too insignificant to have that kind of power. He sees people who make haste to revisit the most depressing times in their lives...I guess many are just still stunned by it all. Yu's father is lost in time and so Yu is searching for him. His mom is (fairly) happily and by choice stuck in a loop where she is making Sunday dinner over and over again. Yu's only companion is a dog who probably isn't even real and his computer. I know it sounds so science fiction-y but it is really more about people and relationships. Can I say again that is it great? - Christa

No comments:

Post a Comment