Saturday, October 23, 2010

Daydreams of a Solitary Hamster/Astrid Desbordes

Daydreams of a Solitary Hamster by Astrid Desbordes and Pauline Martin; graphic novel, children's; 56 pages

To be fair to this book, I picked it up on a "try this--it's terrible!" sort of recommendation, which probably colored my reading. I still tried to generous to this story, so I can't help but think that something must have gone very, very wrong in the translation. This is the story of Hamster and his friends Mole, Snail, and Hedgehog, and their musings on life, as told through a series of one-page vignettes. Most of the reviews I've read talk about how funny this book is, but I mostly just found it annoying and occasionally sad. I don't see any child finding this even vaguely interesting, let alone as funny as advertised.

No comments:

Post a Comment