Monday, October 4, 2010

Loving Frank

Loving Frank/Nancy Horan 377 pages.

This is a fictionalized account of the real life affair and tragic end between Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Borthwick Cheney. There are parts of this book that strike me as a romance but there is much more to it when you learn about the historical context and how much scandal was created by this affair at the time. Mamah is an interesting woman with deep seated feminist ideals who is just so crazy about Frank that she sometimes sets aside her own goals. I guess it is her journey that was most interesting to me although I am interested in FLW too. I've not been to Taliesin in Wisconsin but have toured Taliesin West in Arizona. Now I will have to go to Wisconsin and see the site that was really designed for Mamah even while Frank was married to another woman. The end is tragic but the events don't point of the inevitability of such a thing...I guess that is usually the way of real life. - Christa

No comments:

Post a Comment