Friday, April 23, 2010

The Happiness Project

The Happiness Project/Gretchen Rubin 301pg.

The author of this book has a great life but decides to try to make it better by focusing on enhancing her happiness. I'm kind of a sucker for stuff like this but this book didn't really give me any insights and the "attitude" I got from the author was always "I'm pretty great". I don't think the book was very well researched and ended up being too much about Gretchen. I knew that she lived in Manhattan and had clerked for Sandra Day O'Connor so when she talks about how she made a breakthrough by forcing herself to buy 4 pens that she really liked ($2.99 each), I kind of had to roll my eyes and say, "REALLY?" Of course later when I found out her father-in-law is Robert Rubin (yes, *that* Robert Rubin) and her husband is a successful hedge fund manager, I sort of felt duped by anything in the book that talked about money or "treating yourself".

On the good side, she is a reader and loves her public library but that doesn't really redeem the whole of the book. How does stuff like this become a best seller? -Christa

2 comments:

  1. Ugh - thanks for the heads-up. I had been thinking about picking this one up, but will now give it a wide berth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for insights like "get more sleep and exercise more" then this might be for you. Actually there were a few other parts of her project that seemed downright odd. One month she decides to start a collection...cause we all know that is where most of our happiness lies.

    ReplyDelete