Monday, April 19, 2010

The First Test/Tamora Pierce

The First Test (The Protector of the Small, book 1), by Tamora Pierce; young adult, fantasy; 240 pages (about 5 1/2 hours, listening)

This is another series about a girl training to become a knight, and I was worried that it would be too similar to the Song of the Lioness quartet. But Pierce does a good job of making Kel into her own character, with a very different personality from Alanna. As with most of Pierce's books that start a new series, most of this story of character development, with no epic battles or kingdom-threatening plots (there is a battle, but it's a relatively minor skirmish in the overall picture). There were cameos from the two main characters from the last series, which kept me reading when the story got slow. I think I'm going to like Kel as a character, but I need to see her in a more involved story first.

No comments:

Post a Comment