Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Paid Companion / Amanda Quick

The Paid Companion by Amanda Quick. 388 pp.

Sometimes I want a comfort read--I don't want to worry that horrible things will happen to good people at the end, or work too hard at absorbing a new setting, or wrestling with any deep ideas. Either I'll re-read an old favorite, or I'll read a book like this one: a romance, where I know the basic setup going in and know the outcome--an HEA, "happily ever after," or something very like it--and just enjoy the comfortable ride. With an Amanda Quick book I get a 19th-century-England setting, an eccentric but socially well-off man, an eccentric but sensible woman, a mystery that one of them is trying to solve, and an HEA. Despite the lame title this one fit the bill exactly for me, and the ride was quite enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment