Monday, March 8, 2010

Lioness Rampant, by Tamora Pierce

Lioness Rampant (Song of the Lioness, book 4), by Tamora Pierce; young adult, fantasy; 400 pages

This final volume in the series took me much longer to finish than the last three, so I'm not sure if my disappointment with the book was due to that, or some other factor. The plotting seemed to be sloppier than in previous books, and for the main conflict to even exist the reader needed to suspend of lot of disbelief. Also, the main character's love interest in this volume didn't work for me, and I would up spending lots of time fuming over it. The ending also felt very rushed, with lots of things thrown in and never addressed. I felt like Pierce would have done better to have either pared this down and combined with the slower previous volume, or spread things out over five volumes so she could give more detail. I still have high hopes for her other series, and I'm told these characters all make cameos appearances in them, so I look forward to seeing them then.

No comments:

Post a Comment