Monday, March 1, 2010

Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species: A Graphic

Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species: A Graphic Adaptation by Michael Keller (writer) and Nicolle Rager Fuller (art); graphic novel, nonfiction; 192 pages

I loved the cover of this, so I knew I had to read it. The book doesn't just cover On the Origin of Species, but also has chapters on Darwin's life and research, his writing process, the reception of the work by the world at large, and even a timeline of great landmarks in evolutionary biology since Darwin's time. While there were a few points where I got lost in the 19th century prose, for the most part I thought the authors did a great job of using the art to clarify Darwin's text. They use modern statistics and examples when they can, which helped to make it more relevant. I don't think I'll be tackling the original work any time soon, but I'm glad I read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment