Sunday, January 28, 2024

Pretty Boys Are Poisonous

 Pretty Boys Are Poisonous by Megan Fox, 176 pages.

I picked this poetry book up mostly as a curiosity, because until it came across my desk at the library I didn't realize that Megan Fox was writing a poetry book. The poems inside deal are at least semi-autobiographical, dealing mostly with her history of abusive relationships. Overall the very short and punchy poems in this book felt like they were designed to be sharable on Instagram, but I found them compelling nonetheless. I especially found that listing the titles in a different color at the end of a poem was a very strong choice. It often re-contextualized the poems after I was done reading them, and the titles themselves often felt as meaningful as the rest of the poem. There are also quite a lot of illustrations by Audrey Kawasaki throughout, which I thought were neat but not all that compelling. I wasn't extremely impressed by this collection, but I do think it was very interesting to flip through.


No comments:

Post a Comment