Saturday, December 21, 2019

Melmoth

Melmoth by Sarah Perry, 271 pages.
I read this for a committee I was on in 2018. Well I read most of it in 2018 and then finished it in 2019. There's a being out of legend that causes one (or tries to convince one) to wander in despair for time without measure. Melmoth is that character's name and it first appeared in 1820 in Gothic novel. In this story / version, Melmoth had been mentioned in certain biblical tales and other legends and stories that our protagonist finds in the library while she is researching. She soon meets someone who has interacted with Melmoth and soon our protagonist is herself in danger.
It was a good book, but a lot of it has faded from my memory and I am here at the end of the year with some 100 books to still blog about so . . .
That's what I recall and there's no time now to go back and find out.more about it. Sorta scary, good pacing, interesting plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment