Thursday, October 3, 2019

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne  240 pp.

I don't usually select audiobooks solely on the basis of who is reading it, but in this case I did because Tim Curry. I never read this classic Verne story but have seen the 1959 film starring James Mason as Professor Lidenbrock and Pat Boone as his nephew, who in the book, narrates the story. After finding an ancient Norse manuscript the professor is convinced that there is a direct route to the Earth's center via an Icelandic volcano. He plans an expedition, to the objections his nephew, Axel. They travel to Iceland and with the help of a guide undertake their underground adventure where their lives a frequently in jeopardy. The book was first published in installments in the early 1870s and the scientific knowledge of that era is obvious. However, the descriptions of the different geologic layers are quite accurate (if I remember my college geology as well as I think I do). I enjoyed it in spite of its age. And an added plus is it fills a vacant title spot in my A to Z title challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment