Friday, October 25, 2019

Superfreakonomics

Superfreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes, and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance / Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner, read by Stephen J. Dubner, 270 p.

I know I told Christa I had had enough of these guys - in their quest to turn problems on their sides and look at them with fresh, data-enhanced eyes, they can be painfully glib about difficult human circumstances.  The desperate lives of Chicago street prostitutes are discussed in an almost jokey manner which feels cruel, regardless of the writers' intent.

And yet I keep listening, because there is much to appreciate in the 'freak' way of looking at complex and polarizing issues such as global warming, which they discuss at length in a way far more nuanced than most journalism I've read on the topic.

Dubner is an excellent reader and while the contents here sometimes annoy, they always entertain.

No comments:

Post a Comment