Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Dracula

Dracula by Bram Stoker  488 pp.

Another appropriate choice for this time of year. I read this many years ago but don't think I ever finished it. The story does bog down about 2/3 of the way through. When I saw the Audible version with Alan Cumming, Tim Curry, Simon Vance, Simon Prebble, Kathryn Kellgren and others I just had to try it. I was not disappointed. The classic story of the sinister vampire, Dracula, his unfortunate victims, and the efforts by their friends and spouses to defeat the monster is brought to life by the talents of the full cast of narrators. Through the use of accents, it is not obvious which actor is speaking because they fully inhabit the characters. The only exception was Alan Cumming whose voice and Scottish accent were easily recognizable, but not out of place in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment