Sunday, June 30, 2019

The Complete Father Brown Mysteries

The Complete Father Brown Mysteries by G.K. Chesterton  282 pp.

It took me forever to finish this book since I only read a few pages at a time before going to sleep at night. And despite the title, this version is far from complete at just under 300 pages. The actual complete version is over 750. Unfortunately, I found it disappointing. I greatly enjoy the PBS Father Brown series, with its light humor and affable priest, the brilliant cast of characters, and the Father's adversary/friend, Flambeau. However, with the exception of Flambeau, those characters don't exist in the book. And the Flambeau of the book is not the good hearted thief of the t.v. show. He is a former criminal turned Father Brown's assistant/consultant. There is little action in the stories and often it is Flambeau or Father Brown merely telling about an event they were once involved in. These stories have not aged well and I was disturbed by the amount of racism in some of them. This one should remain gathering dust upon a shelf -- although, in my case, deleted from my Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment