Thursday, December 27, 2018

Sophia of Silicon Valley

 Sophia of Silicon Valley by Anna Yen (2018) 349 pages


I had a love/hate relationship with this book. During my reading of it, I stopped to read another book or two. At 200 pages in, I was still not sure if I would finish it or cut-and-run. What was keeping me reading? Sophia, a young Chinese-American woman with a history of diabetes is pursuing a career in investor relations with tech companies in Silicon Valley. She still lives with her parents, immigrants who have succeeded in their adopted country, but who coddle their daughter because of her health condition. Family dynamics play a large role in Sophia's personality. Sophia seems to excel at her career, but opposing forces battle it out in her head: Self-sufficiency versus traditional life with marriage, husband taking care of her, and children. Sophia wasn't that likable to me, but the story line worked and the writing flowed. I did complete the book, and it both does AND does not resonate with me. Perhaps that's a mark of a talented writer?


No comments:

Post a Comment