Thursday, December 20, 2018

My grandfather would have shot me

My grandfather would have shot me: a black woman discovers her family's Nazi past / Jennifer Teege & Nikola Sellmair, read by Robin Miles, 221 pgs.

Others have already written about this book so I'll focus here on how hard it must be to discover that your family history contains such a horrible person.  I mean, we all laugh about discovering the horse thief 4 generations back but what about a cruel murderer?  Jennifer Teege is in an odd position when she accidentally discovers a book that informs her of her family history.  As if there isn't enough weird stuff in life!  This is a woman who studied in Israel and speaks Hebrew.  All of that happened before she discovered her heritage.  Another small but interesting part is her telling of her adopted dad spending his final days trying to justify his own parents complicit attitudes during the war.  They were not active participants but fans. Years later, trying to deal with that was difficult for him...and that isn't even close to Jennifer's situation.  Interesting and I agree with Reneise, not for the lighthearted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment