Friday, May 25, 2018

Failure is an Option: An Attempted Memoir

Failure is an Option: An Attempted Memoir by H. Jon Benjamin, 256 pages.
Books by comedians are a weakness for me. If I enjoy the author's other work, ususally stand-up or comedic acting, then I want to read their funny little memoir even though I know that I am likely to be disappointed. This time I was pleasantly suprised. Benjamin, the voice of the title characters in both Archer and Bob's Burgers, is a clever and competent writer. He is very funny too. in this attempt at a memoir, Benjamin chooses to work thematically, linking episodes and milestones in his life to specific failures on his part; flaws in his character. He is, as I have mentioned, funny about this. He's not apologetic, and often offers bits of his philosophy of failure to encourage in others. He says early on, "this is a polemic in favor of failure. It's an assertion that failure is an option, and even, at times, a viable prescription for a better life".
Like many comedic memoirs, we're not getting a whole lot of personal details, unless they're funny bits of failure; there are (I presume) bunches of lies. But it is all funny. Benjamn's tales of failing at every aspect of life, from abandoning a sleepover during childhood, to watching tv at his neighbor's while the house was being robbed, to curling up in a ball instead of participating in a three-way while at college are all hilarious.

Addendum: Christa pointed out that I somehow missed the car-pooping scene in the book and I have corrected that. I think that I am prone to passages in books that are poop-heavy, and for that I will not apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment