Thursday, April 28, 2016

The Martian

The Martian / Andy Weir ; 369 p.

I enjoyed this a lot. I assume most people know the basic plot by now: astronaut Mark Watney is accidentally stranded on Mars and has to figure out how to stay alive until help can arrive. I've seen the book criticized because the plot is basically external (man vs environment) rather than focusing on any character growth Mark might undergo. Which is totally fine--not every book has to be about Deep Important Thoughts. Sometimes I want to watch people be competent and solve problems, and this totally scratched that itch for me. I couldn't follow all of the science, but I thought the focus on explaining Mark's planning in detail was fine, although I have friends who find it boring and/or intimidating. Plus I enjoyed Mark's snarky personality.

I look forward to Andy Weir's next book, which he says involves a thief in a city on the Moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment