Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Murder of Mary Russell

The murder of Mary Russell / Laurie King, 359 p.

When I first heard that someone was writing a series of books about Sherlock Holmes getting married after his retirement, I rolled my eyes *really* hard. I ended up enjoying the series quite a lot, though, and appreciate Mary's character--these are Mary Russell books featuring Sherlock Holmes, not the other way around. So I was disappointed by this particular series entry. We get a new view of Holmes, which was enjoyable, but far too much of the book was taken up with the history of a supporting character. It's not that I don't think the character deserves backstory, but it juuuuust draaaaagged onnnnnnn. (We spent at least a chapter on this character's parents meeting and getting married!) Once we returned to the "present" day of the narrative things pick up, but by then I was exhausted. Not one that I'll reread, I don't think.

No comments:

Post a Comment