Monday, March 28, 2016

Hunger makes me a modern girl

Hunger makes me a modern girl by Carrie Brownstein 256 pgs.

Sleater-Kinney always struck me as being a great band even though I never saw them play live.  Founding member Brownstein talks a bit about her childhood and formative years.  Her family, like all others, had their issues and problems.  She was interested in music at a young age but any musical education is unclear.  Did she teach herself the guitar after a few lessons with her neighbor?  Is there more to the foundation of the music the band plays?  It was unclear to me after reading the book.  What was clear is the punishment involved in touring.  As a young unknown band, you have no money, no "help" and spend nights where ever you can find a place to lay your head.  As you start to make it, the schedule is punishing on any "normal" life, relationships, pets, even home ownership.  I've often wondered what it would be like to be on the road and now I think I have a much better understanding.  This book covers the band and we hear nothing about Brownstein's time after aside from her volunteering at a humane society and a horrifying story about the fate of one of her pets.

Any fan of the band or Carrie will enjoy this account.

No comments:

Post a Comment