Wednesday, March 9, 2016

A Wizard of Earthsea

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin, 320 pages

LeGuin's first book in the Earthsea series focuses on the training and self-discovery of the great mage Ged. His journey takes him from a small poor hamlet to a school of magical training, where he unleashes a dark power that threatens to take over Ged, and possibly all of Earthsea. Throw in some dragons and the obligatory quest, and you've got a classic high fantasy tale.

This had long been on my to-read list, and I'm glad I finally picked it up. I'm curious to see how the rest of this series shakes out, and I'm equally curious to see the Studio Ghibli film adaptation, which, I suspect, is excellent. This story seems like an excellent fit for Goro Miyazaki's storytelling style.

No comments:

Post a Comment