Monday, February 1, 2016

Bats of the Republic

Bats of the Republic: an illuminated novel / Zachary Thomas Dodson 448 pgs.

An interesting book that marries two stories, one set in the 1800's, and one in the future.  It took me a while to figure out that, in many ways, I was reading the same story twice.  But the backdrops are different and the characters are similar but living in different time periods.  In addition to the interwoven stories, there are had drawn maps, animals and other illustrations.  If the future is dystopian, the past frankly, isn't a whole lot more becoming.  Problems everywhere!

In addition to the future/past connection, there is a love story in both time periods and the lovers are surrounded by some real creeps.  I, of course, found the creeps to be quite interesting.

This book is not something I would normally read but am glad that the 2016 Tournament of Books  discovered it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment