Friday, February 12, 2016

The Princes of Ireland

The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga by Edward Rutherford  350 pp. (estimated)

I didn't realize this was an abridged audiobook version when I selected it. Based on the number of discs I'm estimating it at less than half the pages of the print version. This saga spans eleven centuries, beginning with the love story of Connell and Deirdre during the Pagan times of the High Kings of Tara and going through the English takeover of Ireland during the reign of Henry VIII. Along the way there are battles with Vikings, the creation of the Book of Kells, Druids, monks, illuminated manuscripts, tribal chieftains, rebels, intrigue and a rich interweaving of history with characters true to their place and time. Rutherford takes historical detail and enlivens it with the stories of memorable people, both real and fictional. To be honest, I don't know if I would have tackled the lengthy print version but I'm disappointed that this audio version was an abridgment.


No comments:

Post a Comment