Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Soon I Will Be Invincible

Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman, 287 pages

Doctor Impossible is (as he keeps reminding us) the smartest man in the world. It's obvious when you consider all of his diabolical plots for world domination: robot armies, moving the moon, various viruses. Fatale is a new-ish superhero, a half-cyborg half-human who's not entirely sure she belongs on a superteam. Soon I Will Be Invincible starts just as Doctor Impossible is escaping prison (for the twelfth time), and Fatale is helping her new superteam track down CoreFire, the ultimate superhero, who has gone missing. The rest of the story is a superhuman treasure trove, playing with all of the tropes of the genre (the farfetched evil plans, the origin stories, the secret identities, the villain monologuing when he should be destroying) but offering it in a fresh, fun way.

Christa has been telling me for what seems like YEARS that I need to read this book, so when I finally picked it up, there was a certain pressure to like it. And hey, whaddaya know, I did like it. A lot! I should have listened to her ages ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment