Monday, March 23, 2015

All the Light We Cannot See

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr, 531 pages
A 2015 Alex Award Winner

I think I'm the last person on the team to read this, plus it's incredibly popular, so I'll avoid the summary and go straight to my thoughts. It's absolutely easy to see why this book has so much buzz. It's a story about the beauty and mysteries of the world that surrounds us, and how war can tear that apart. It's about how war ultimately is about the ones that are left alive at the end of it, and how the experience of war can resonate across lifetimes. The writing is gorgeous, almost lush at times, and the back and forth from Marie-Laure to Werner works perfectly. Get on the request list for this one before the inevitable movie adaptation comes out (in fact, I think it's long enough that you'll still be cutting it close!).

(Read as part of YALSA's Hub Reading Challenge.)

No comments:

Post a Comment