Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Eat, pray, love, by Elizabeth Gilbert



When I read Gilbert’s excellent novel The signature of all things last year, I began my review by saying “I have never been able to get past the title of Gilbert’s best known work, Eat, Pray, Love….”  But now that my book club is reading her novel this month, and since a free copy of Eat, pray, love fell into my hands, I decided I should find out what others obviously saw in her earlier memoir.  Unfortunately, I would have been better served to have gone with my original assessment.  I slogged through it – it is well written, thoughtful, and often funny – but got so tired of her earnest and somewhat nutty spiritual and sensual adventures.  I’m happy that in the end she found True Love, but think I am entirely too old to identify with her angst and self-absorption.  Actually, I find it hard to believe these two books were written by the same person.  334 pp.

No comments:

Post a Comment