Sunday, July 6, 2014

To rise again at a decent hour

To rise again at a decent hour / Joshua Ferris 337 pgs.

When I read Ferris' first book, I thought "genius" but when his second came out, I could not relate to it unlike many of my co-workers.  This book, however, solidifies his "genius" standing with me.  I can't praise it enough.  Paul O'Rourke is a dentist in New York and a dedicated Red Sox fan.  What else is he?  Well, an atheist and perhaps a bit to intense in his love affairs.  It isn't just his devotion to the woman he is with, it is his desire to become a family member that make this border on a little creepy.  We meet Dr. O'Rourke as a single man wondering where he fits in.  There is some information that leads us to understand his infatuation with close families.  His dad committed suicide, his mother now dead, he really has no family to speak of.  He is a well respected dentist but he doesn't really "belong."  This book has so many comic elements but is also wonderful with the serious parts.

check our catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment