Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Middlemarch - Finally!!!

Middlemarch by George Eliot  852 pp.

This is the first time I've done the Adult Summer Reading although I haven't participated in any of the discussions. I have to admit that I almost gave up on the book more than once. But I persevered and made it through. In spite of my lack of enthusiasm, I have to admit it is a well written book that covers themes that although dated, still have relevance today. The story focuses on the status of women in the 1800s focusing on Dorothea whose lofty goals and expectations of marriage are sadly unrewarded. The nature of marriage is also examined in the pairing of the spoiled Rosamund and her idealistic husband Dr. Lydgate. The themes of social class prejudice, hypocrisy, politics, and education play parts in the story also. It is no surprise that Eliot wrote about the status of women considering she had to publish her books under a male nom de plume. I'm just glad I didn't live in that era with the snobbery and restricted options for women.

No comments:

Post a Comment