Sunday, July 27, 2014

Running Blind

Running Blind / Lee Child 360 pgs.

 I'm really trying with these Jack Reacher novels.  Everyone tells me how great they are and I want to believe, I really do.  In this outing, Reacher is tied down to the house his mentor and father figure left to him in his will.  He is also in a committed relationship with the daughter of the same guy. He is getting antsy and feels overwhelmed by the responsibility.  He gets the chance to help the F.B.I. on a case of recently separated women from the military who are turning up dead in very bizarre circumstances.  Nobody can figure out what killed them and they are found in a bathtub full of paint.  I have no problems suspending my belief that any of this can be true.  I'm willing to go along with the ridiculous plot to get the Reacher action and thrills.  I can admire the pull for the simple life. BUT I have to just stop believing when Reacher's entire portfolio of belongings is a single tooth brush and the clothes on his back.  Dude you must stink.  Yes, you can shower every day but putting the same unwashed clothes back on each and every day is just not possible.  You have to have a spare outfit and get some tooth paste to go with that toothbrush.  PLEASE, I'm supposed to be falling for you but I can't get past the personal hygiene issues.  And, to get a little more picky, this guy is so strong and skilled he can kill many with his bare hands...I will believe all of that too but I think you would have to do a little bit of a workout every now and again.  Maybe this book covers such a short time period that he has suspended his workouts but even so, he only has that one outfit so I'm not seeing how it can fit in either.  The Jack Reacher movie was widely panned but I'm curious to see if it can explain these two big issues for me.  Maybe I'll read another of these books but it will be awhile.

check our catalog

No comments:

Post a Comment