Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Hawkeye: My Life as a Weapon

Hawkeye:  My Life as a Weapon by Matt Fraction; graphic novel; 136 pages

Cindy recommended this as a good way to dip my toe into the Marvel Universe.  It's the story of Hawkeye when he's not being Hawkeye, and what his life is like outside of the Avengers.  Of the stories collected in this volume, all are well-written, fun, fast-paced reads.  The art in some of them, though, is better than in others.  It was disappointing to find that one of the more interesting storylines (involving an underground auction in an exotic city) had artwork that just threw me off, and I found myself having a hard time getting into it.  I was also a little confused about Hawkeye's relationship with his female sidekick Kate, especially since the stories aren't really arranged in chronological order (though after reading the last story, the constant flirting between the two is a little creepy.  Then again, I don't know much about the Young Avengers.  Are they like the Teen Titans--actual teens?  Because if so this book just got a whole lot less comfortable). 

I still enjoyed this volume, and would probably pick up more if I can find the right entry point into this continuity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment