Strangers: A Memoir of Marriage by Belle Burden, 237 pages
In this memoir, Belle Burden recounts the shock of her husband leaving her and her children at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, after 20 years of marriage. She revisits the early days of their marriage, their family dynamics, and warning signs she might've missed. She also writes about picking up the pieces after he leaves, dealing with lawyers and divorce court, financial troubles, depression and raising her kids during the pandemic.
I will admit, as a young person who has never experienced marriage, I was probably not the target audience for this book, however I did enjoy reading it for the most part. Belle writes her story with grace and honesty. I particularly enjoyed her journey to finding her own voice as a single woman after being controlled for so many years by her husband. I think her privilege as a white woman with generational wealth makes this a hard read at times, especially when she is describing her financial and living situations, it can be hard to empathize for her.
No comments:
Post a Comment