Daughters of the Sun and Moon by Lisa See (2026), 384 pages
It is 1870 Los Angeles and Dove,
Petal, and Moon have just arrived in this foreign land. They soon discover that
the Gold Mountain (America) is not as welcoming as promised. While they each
end up in very different circumstances, they remain connected as they navigate
this new world while trying to survive.
The novel is a very interesting
look into early Chinese immigration, especially through the lens of women. I
had not heard of the Night of Horrors or much about violent gangs that ruled
the Chinese neighborhoods in early Los Angeles. As with most early immigrants,
the number of hardships they faced makes you appreciate how bad it was at home
that they kept arriving. I am not sure I would have survived long. I enjoyed
the novel but wish there would have been a bit more connection to the main
characters. They often seemed separate and aloof - especially since they were
dealing with some pretty hard situations.
No comments:
Post a Comment