Tuesday, September 22, 2026

ExtraOrdinary

 

ExtraOrdinary by V.E. Schwab and Enid Balám, 112 pages.

After a near-fatal bus crash, Charlotte Tills gains the ability to see people's deaths in their reflections. Her own reflection is haunted by a strange man, a man in a prison uniform named Eli Ever. Waiting for her fate is driving her crazy, as is seeing her family's deaths in every surface, so she decides to go hunting for him instead. 

 This comic falls between books one and two in Schwab's Villains series, and I'm afraid it just didn't work for me as well as Vicious. I liked what we saw of the new characters, but with so many in a very short book what we saw of them wasn't very much. I also didn't appreciate that we played a little loose with the events of the first book. I expect changes in a comic adaptation to make things shorter, but as there realistically wasn't a lot of point in rehashing the same scenes to start with, it felt like a weakness. There were a few cool concepts, but I wouldn't exactly call it a standout graphic novel.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment