Thursday, August 27, 2026

Where the Girls Were

Where the Girls Were by Kate Schatz (2026), 368 pages

It is late 1960s San Francisco and high schooler, soon to be Valedictorian, Elizabeth "Baker" finds herself pregnant. Obviously, this disrupts her whole future as she had planned to attend Stanford and then head to Paris. Against her will, she ends up in a home for pregnant women. There she explores the complicated situations that landed the other women there and what their futures might hold.

I am back and forth on this book. I think it covers some very important topics (such as women’s choice) that are still very prescient today. It delves into the limited options women had and the very real judgements they faced if they became "in the family way" - whether it was by choice or violence. It also touches upon the lack of knowledge women had about their bodies and the taboos older women had in sharing valuable information to younger women. That said, Baker's naiveté was almost to the point of unbelievableness. There were libraries back in the day. I wish more time had been spent with the interesting characters in the women's home and how the women's rights movement was progressing through San Francisco. The ending is pretty unbelievable, but, if you get a chance, I would still read it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment