Wednesday, August 26, 2026

The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse by Louise Erdrich, 368 pages

The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse by Louise Erdrich, 368 pages

It is very difficult to summarize this book! I’ll give it a shot: An eccentric, musically genius ex-nun is widowed and impersonates a priest in the Minnesotan wilderness for much of their life, becoming ingrained in the local Native American community. The tone is somewhere between historical/ (mostly) realistic fiction and Capital L Literature.

This book has all of the things that a Louise Erdrich fan is looking for: A terribly interesting and admirable protagonist, Native American culture and community, love stories that are interesting and surprising...and yet never the focal point of the story.

It would also be difficult to overstate how much I loved LROTMALNH! In addition to the point of view of the protagonist (who goes by a few different names), we see how community changes over a long period of time, and have a variety of interesting religious experiences represented, and explores complicated spirituality sincerely. While there are themes of mysticism and ethical dilemma, I would never classify this as “Christian Fiction” to someone looking for that genre. It was impressive to cover such a length of time- 70ish years- in less than 400 pages without ever feeling that the story glossed over anything. Very engrossing, too! I recommend this one if, like me, you found The Sentence to be “just okay” but want to try more Louise.

No comments:

Post a Comment