Voidverse by Damian Ober, 336 pages
Emery has always lived on a tiny rock (literally, a smallish rock floating in the void), but when her son gets sick, she follows The Sinker, a traveler between rocks, to seek out a cure. However, Emery's home rock is destroyed when she returns, and the pair start traveling, attempting to find out what they can about the void through which they travel, meeting people both kind and dangerous along the way.
I read this a while ago and had to check the summary to remember names. However, when I read the publisher-provided info, it didn't match up at all with what I remember reading. The publisher touts this as science fiction, though it doesn't feel like quite the right definition to me. I feel like science fiction requires some degree of physics (like, a nod to how gravity works or how people propel between places or some science, no matter how handwavy it might be) and this one just involves floating and falling at random, and there's no sense of whether these rocks are orbs or discs or what. If you can't tell, that really distracted me while reading this book, which I think I'd best define as the goth cousin of The Little Prince. It's literary science fiction, I guess, but I don't know that I'd recommend it to a SF reader.

No comments:
Post a Comment