Thursday, August 20, 2026

Heather

Heather by Caitlin Mullen (2026), 352 pages 

Callie Hauser is the new Police Chief in her hometown. She is young and motivated, and is soon swept up in a decades old murder surrounding a pair of teenage twins who went missing and left behind a dead newborn baby. 

I am back and forth on whether I liked this mystery. It is definitely better than Please See Us (which I recently reviewed), but I am having a hard time figuring out why it wasn't quite right. It is a bit unbelievable that a 30 y/o cop who just recently returned to her hometown would suddenly become the Police Chief (especially when there were more experienced police officers on the force). It is also a bit unbelievable said new Police Chief would have so much extra time to watch her best friends 3-year-old. I also did not care for the chapters written in the 2nd person - they were jarring compared to the rest of the novel. That said, there were some fun twists and unexpected turns that kept the storying engaging. So, I am torn about recommending it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment