We are competitive library employees who are using this blog for our reading contest against each other and Missouri libraries up to the challenge.
Wednesday, August 26, 2026
Native Stranger: A Black American's Journey into the Heart of Africa
Native Stranger: A Black American's Journey into the Heart of Africa
Eddy L. Harris
315 pages
This is a travelogue by St. Louisan Eddy Harris, better known for Mississippi Solo, about his journey through an impressive portion of Africa. It was published in 1992, so it’s also a bit of a portrait of an Africa in which globalization wasn’t quite so pronounced.
My high school French teacher gifted me a copy of this book when I was about 16, and I remembered liking it but was curious to see how much of it had really stuck with me.
Harris is so charming and honest, I found the book funny and touching and human. I hadn’t retained much over the years, so it was rare treat to read a book for the first time, twice. Some parts are difficult, about poverty and disease. There is a lot of bodily function talk, but the author’s purpose is to face his discomfort head-on. His honesty about how the intention to not behave “Americanly” when travelling, and how that intention can erode when we’re exhausted and uncomfortable was interesting, and is not often explored in travel writing. I did roll my eyes a little at author’s preoccupation with cultural differences female modesty, but I suspect that the author, like me, would see this journey through a different lens today.
I recommend this one even if you don’t normally gravitate toward travel writing. I have written in this blog before that this genre is saturated with pretty bad writing, and now I wonder if I feel that way because this one spoiled me for the average travelogue 25 years ago.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment