Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Wisdom Corner

Wisdom Corner by David Heska Wanbli Weiden (2026), 320 pages 

Somehow it missed me (and several others) that this is actually Book 2 in the Virgil Wounded Horse series. So, as I will be doing that shortly - go read Winter Counts first. 

Virgil Wounded Horse is a former enforcer/vigilante for hire on the Rosebud Reservation where he resides. He is trying to shake that lifestyle, but a murder on the Reservation and potential gang activity from the neighboring Pine Ridge Reservation are pulling him back in.  

Overall, I enjoyed the book. It is touted as a thriller, but the pacing does not lend it to that. It more of a slow burn. Weiden does an excellent job of portraying current Native life on a Reservation, but sometimes bogs the story down with too many side-details and historical notes. I find these details very interesting, but others will find them distracting. As always, though, I will forever feel angry for how Native Americans were/are treated on their own land. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment