Sunday, March 12, 2023

Light from Uncommon Stars

 Light from Uncommon Stars by Ryka Aoki, 372 pages.

This is actually my second time reading this book. You can read my first review, which I stand by, here (and also Kara's original review here). This wonderful novel is just as good the second time, and I even began to get a little more definition on why I liked it the second time around.

The troubles in this book are categorically much larger than the joys. Deals for the soul, intergalactic war and civilization ending plague, even the much more grounded harassment and abuse. How could things like noodles, ducks, and a kind word from a stranger stack up? And yet they do. Not only do the joys manage to balance the terrible weights, in the end they are all that matters. And I think that, as one of the central tenets of the book, this is part of what I find so soothing and beautiful about it. This book definitely makes the list of ones to reread when I'm feeling down.  

P.S. Something about this book reminds me of Everything Everywhere All At Once, so if you liked that movie this book may be a good pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment