Wednesday, March 8, 2023

How to Be an Antiracist

How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi, 305 pages

With a title that starts with "how to," one would expect this book to read like a self-help guide. It doesn't. Instead, Kendi unpacks the ways in which racism impacts the world around us in this book, providing clear definitions and examples of racist and antiracist policies and ideas. Intertwined with these essential history and civics lessons are stories from Kendi's personal story, explaining the ways that he is continuing to uncover the racist ideas that have permeated his own life and strive toward an antiracist life in the future. By doing so, he makes this goal a realistic one for his readers. 

This is one of those books that was on my "yeah, I really should read that" list for quite a while. I still feel like I should have read it before now, but I listened to the audiobook of this (available through Libby, and read by the author), which was released this year. It's based on the paperback version of the book, which is filled with revisions, notes, and additional insight that wasn't available when the book was originally published in 2019. So, in that sense, I'm glad I waited to hear these additions, which really do bring more context to the world in which we live.

No comments:

Post a Comment