Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Smoke

Smoke by Joe Ide, 323 pages

After a slew of dangerous, high-tension situations Isaiah "IQ" Quintabe is ready for a break from the real world and heads out of Sacramento for a taste of small-town life. Unfortunately, the danger seems determined to follow him in the form of an escaped psych inmate, a pair of ex-cons who may also be serial killers, and a cop who seems much more interested in the new Black guy in town than an actual threat to his community. Meanwhile, Isaiah's friends have their own dramas to deal with: Dodson's wife, Cherise, has gotten fed up with her husband's "street" antics and secured him an internship at an advertising agency; Deronda's baby daddy has popped up demanding partial custody — or half her successful food truck business; and Isaiah's ex-girlfriend Grace is being stalked by a creepy guy who thinks she'll lead him to IQ.

This is a great mix of storylines and characters, and Ide weaves them together well. My biggest complaint is directed at myself: why did I have to read this before any of the other IQ books? I can tell from this one that I'd love them, and I'm sure they'd provide plenty of the necessary backstory that was missing here. Guess I'll have to move them up my TBR list before the next IQ novel comes out...

No comments:

Post a Comment